Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Beginners Syndrome

On 11/20/15 12:22 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:

Reminds me of the tenured professors where I used to work. I
called them "professional students," because many of them never had
any actual, real world, work experience. They went from high
school to college, to grad school, to being a doctoral candidate,
to teaching and never did anything else in their lives. (Think:
the professor from "Back To School" with Rodney Dangerfield.)

That might possibly be true for some social science professor. It is
not even close to true for Engineering professors, most of whom do as
well as teach.

In any case, blanket statement such as you've made regarding
'tenured professions' are nonsense, as all schools and all professors
are not alike.

Oh lighten up. Did I touch a nerve? :-)
It wasn't a blanket statement concerning all college professors. If you
notice, I wrote "the tenured professors where I used to work" which is a
pretty narrow focus. And even then any reasonable person could assume i
was talking about some and not all.

Getting your real-world knowledge form a comedy film doesn't help.

That's called an illustration to help to help make a point. I got
plenty of " real-world knowledge" from working in academia for 15 years
which is solely what I based my opinion on.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--