Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Fear of making mistakes (was Beginners Syndrome)

On 11/20/2015 11:56 AM, wrote:
Over the last 40 years of doing all manner of wood working, I am surprised at a couple of things with wood workers. First, how many folks have thousands of dollars invested in shop tools, only to make a coffee table or a night stand once a year.

Leon might remember this:

Years back helped a dear friend sell off her ex's equipment out of his
air conditioned, 3600 sf shop, after the divorce.

A shop loaded with every large tool (high dollar, 3ph commercial grade
tools/machinery, too big for any shop I've ever owned), and every hand
tool that could be bought from Rockler, WoodCraft and LV; a dust
collector that would suffice for a lumber yard, a forklift, a spray
booth larger than my current shop, and office space bigger than the
ground floor in my home, among other things.

And it was well documented that the ONLY, and I mean ONLY, thing ever
made with those tools were a half dozen pens put together with blanks
from Rockler.

All the equipment was new, and, except for the small lathe used for the
pens, had never been used when it was sold.

And no, I availed myself of none of it, except for some expendables ...
simply refused to profit in any way whatsoever from our good friend's
misfortune.

But, I do occasionally dream about what I could have done with all that
space and all those tools. Oh well ...

Que sera, sera ...

--
eWoodShop: