Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fear of making mistakes (was Beginners Syndrome)

Well... I think we all have things we intend to do, and just don't get around to doing them. For many, buy the accoutrements is the most fun, learning to use them, not so much.

I think too, how long it took me to develop fluency with the tools I use all the time, and honestly, to use them well took years. So I sympathize with the guy that dreams of being a cabinet builder, gets inspired by watching Krenov video, looks at Karl or Leon's work, or looks at a magazine and says to himself "hey, I think I could do that". Sadly, they don't understand that it isn't the tools that make the craftsman, but the years spent using them to gain proficiency.

Over the last 40 years of doing all manner of wood working, I am surprised at a couple of things with wood workers. First, how many folks have thousands of dollars invested in shop tools, only to make a coffee table or a night stand once a year. Sometimes a keepsake box for good measure. Second, I am surprised by the industrious few that do great work with very inexpensive tools and at that, damn few of them. Hand me down saws used with homemade guides, chisels that need to be sharpened every 20 minutes of use, no pneumatic guns (not even a brad nailer), just a few clamps, no drill/driver, etc., and yet they have a ball. And as mentioned, some really turn out some nice work. Their only downfall is that it takes them months of their spare time to do what it takes a pro to do in a day.

I think is like the guy that likes to play golf that reads a ton of magazines, puts thousands into clubs, cleats, gloves, and occasional lesson, balls, etc., but only plays once a month. Never goes to the driving range, but thinks he can learn by simply playing more often.

No matter what it is, when you are doing anything that requires processes of some sort, motor skills of some sort, and the confidence to use both of those skills, you don't learn without a lot of perseverance and practice. I know a lot of folks that have the money and the desire to do certain things, but as one of my amigos says, "then life gets in the way" and they never get to do the things they want.

But they can still read that magazine while sitting on the hopper first thing in the morning and keep their dreams alive.

Robert