Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fear of making mistakes (was Beginners Syndrome)

Electric Comet wrote in news:n2ngjg$dns$1
@dont-email.me:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 23:19:14 -0500
Bill wrote:

say something about it. Apparently it's characterized by reading a
lot of books and buying a lot of tools, and not making so many wood
chips. I haven't bought "that" many tools, but I can still identify a

they described some symptoms but not the real problem

the real problem is fear of making mistakes and it is the thing that
prevents a lot of people partaking in a lot of different endeavors

definitely not limited to working with wood

My favorite concept in building model railroads is that of the "chainsaw
layout." It's a model railroad that you build with no other purpose than
to be a learning experience. Go, screw up, make mistakes. Make ugly
holes in the table if that's what it takes.

When you get to the point you've learned what you need to, take a
chainsaw to it and cut it out. Start fresh.

You can apply that concept to just about anything. I do it often,
sometimes I call it "iteration 1" and repeat the process 3-4 times until
I have something I'm happy with.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.