Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Welding helmets (Hobby use)

On 11/19/2015 8:47 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 5:17:25 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 11/18/2015 2:57 PM,

The coolest thing is 'my' John Deere 400 backhoe.
She is a tired old gal though. At the moment one of the
side arm cylinders has blown it's seal. I'm not sure
if that's something I can fix myself or not.

Not sure what you're referring to as the "side arm"; one of the bucket
lift cylinders or the rest-steadies or the boom swivel???

Sorry the stabilizer cylinder one on each side... fairly small.

Those shouldn't be _too_ bad, but again, if it's been outside forever
and they've been left "as-is" with the environment those tend to operate
in they'll probably be pretty well "growed together"...

Which ever, there should be no _major_ issue in installing a seal kit;
they're threaded but you may need some serious torque to break an oldie
loose...

I did give replacing seals on the JLG 40H 40-ft manlift main extend and
lift cylinders to the Deere shop in town simply 'cuz don't have a crane
arrangement to pull the 174" stroke 2" bore main cylinder out the end of
the boom. They ended up having to take it to the local hydraulics shop
as they weren't able to break the seal nut loose, either. Took the
other shop three days but they finally did get it.

I blew out the crowd cylinder a few years ago.
I took it to the local JD industrial repair shop,
and it was a bit of a nightmare. It took them three tries
(and a good part of the summer.)
to get it installed and not leaking.

"Stuff happens" when things are old, particularly...

I'd have taken the lift straight to the hydraulics folks excepting I
don't have a lowboy that'll take it nor do they while the Deere folk do
and pickup/deliver repair work gratis (well, it ain't exactly free but
at least it's in the shop bill ). We deal with them all the time
anyway as well as are working farm....