Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Welding helmets (Hobby use)

I may be the least qualified to respond on this. My welding helmet is about 5 years old, and cost $35. I had just read a review of both high and low end helmets ands the bottom line was the reaction time/eye protection was the same, but the ergonomics was the difference.
Within a year of very occasional use, the headgear inside the helmet fell apart. The fix is to buy a quality replacement for $30 or so. That puts the price range back in the total for a name-brand with the good parts.
So I think if I were buying today I'd be shopping in the $100 range just to get decent hardware that will hold up.

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 9:14:08 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting one or two welding helmets for X-mas.
I've got a Dayton welder in the barn that I've used a little,
with an old flip style helmet. My son (age 14) has gotten into metal working
and would like to try welding. There are a huge number of options.
Here's one review.
http://www.mrwelderreviews.com/revie...lding-helmets/

From which I'm thinking of the Antra for ~$50, or perhaps the
classic Miller for a bit more.