Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Status: (was: knurl stainless steel)

On 14 Nov 2015 03:01:57 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-11-13, wrote:
On 12 Nov 2015 23:23:32 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

[ ... Original discussion snipped and "Subject: Header changed ... ]

Oh yes --- I also did not want to type too much, because I am
recovering from the surgery which removed the titanium plate and screws
from my arm -- which had been broken and repaired about a year ago.
Remember that I was fairly quiet back then, too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Glad you're recovering, DoN, and hope your life is a little less
eventful for a while. How's the fire recovery coming?

The arm is getting better -- but a lot of PT still to go through.

[ ... ]

But -- I was able to build a 10-meter J-pole antenna and get it
installed before going back into surgery to recover the titanium parts.
Interesting screws and plates. Looks like a Torx variant, though I
haven't counted splines yet. (The overall length of the antenna is about
27', but all aluminum, so not too heavy. :-)

Thanks,
DoN.

DoN,
Why was the metal removed? Was it causing problems? I ask because I
have LOTS of titanium and SS in both arms, my pelvis, and my back and
none of these plates and screws have caused any problems. And all
these metal bits have been in place for over a decade.

I hit a platform in the P.T. from the original surgery. In part
because the therapist was restricted to avoid work in certain directions
until the surgeon verified that the bone had regrown enough, and by the
time he *could* attack the other motions, things had set up too much.

In addition -- the top end of the plate was up close to the
shoulder socket, and I think that it was hitting there limiting range of
motion in at least one direction. Also, I was getting sort of
"plucking" feelings in the tendons as I went through certain exercises,
suggesting that the head or the point of at least one of the screws was
near a moving part in my muscle system.

Already, I cam move a good part of the way with less pain
(though I will have to live on pain pills during the PT, which is
supposed to be more aggressive this time).

I was just barely able to reach up to the top of the drill press
spider, and unbolting and lowering parts of the Bridgeport CNC mill head
was a real trick. :-)

I don't expect full range, but the ability to get the right arm
up to assist with changing the battery in a ceiling mounted smoke
detector (I need to change the batteries again, of course) would be a
nice benefit. Last spring was a real pain (literal) changing the
batteries. :-)

I really should have done this break earlier, instead of waiting
until I was 73 years old or so. Old farts heal *slowly*. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

PT can do wonders. After my initial round of reconstructive
surgeries, with pins sticking out of both arms and connected to the
fixation system. I started PT. This was the morning after the crushing
injuries. When I got home from the hospital I could hardly move my
fingers. So I had to do exercises several times a day to free up my
fingers. After the external fixators were removed I started more
aggressive PT. Thought it hurt like hell during several months I was
able to regain complete range of motion for all 10 digits. The PT was
totally worth all the pain. Totally. Good luck with yours.
Eric