Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default knurl stainless steel

On 2015-11-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 12 Nov 2015 23:52:11 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:
Oh yes --- I also did not want to type too much, because I am
recovering from the surgery which removed the titanium plate and screws
from my arm -- which had been broken and repaired about a year ago.
Remember that I was fairly quiet back then, too.

Did you get to keep your parts?

Yep! One titanium plate, and an even dozen titanium
self-threading screws (specialized for threading in bone. :-)

Cool. Got GIFs?

I will once I tear open the baggie. I did take one shot of the
baggie itself, with some of the parts visible in there, but I expect to
open it up, spread them out in a nice array, and photograph plate and
screws, followed by detail photos of the points and heads.

But I'm keeping it sealed until I use it to convince my dentist
that I no longer need to take aitibiotics prior to a tooth cleaning.
(Apparently, embedded metal is considered a focus of blood-borne
infections stirred up by the tooth cleaning process. :-)

I'll be putting the photos of the screws in my web page about
the arm experience rather than trying to e-mail photos to the world.

The heads look like Torx (to be verified by test-fitting to
existing drivers once the baggie is open). They appear to be a shape
and size so they will mostly bury in the holes in the plate while
allowing setting at various angles as needed. (Again, to be experimented
with once the bag is open.

It had to be cleaned and sterilized before I could receive the
package.

Autoclaved?

Yep -- in a partially clear baggie, with a visible indicator
strip which shows that it got hot enough for long enough to be safe to
handle -- even if I had ebola. :-)

At least my arm is getting easier to live with much more quickly
than last time. No significant bone healing to do -- other than to
fill the holes where the screws were -- and after a week I can do a lot
of things which it took a couple of months or more (plus P.T.) to reach
from the previous surgery.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--