View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Music Equipment Cases

How the hell do you deal with that plastic coating stuff n the wood ? Looks to me that the wood shrinks and then you can't get the chassis out. Of course I guess they want it that way so it does not rattle, but this is going too far. We are talking the width here. Leave some damn clearance.

Today I had to simply cut some of that **** off and it is noticable, I figure to paint it black as the rest of it is not in the greatest condition cosmetically anyway. But it simply would not come apart with screwdriver nor hook. I did not try the hammer and handgrenade method, but I was tempted.

Another amp, I did not cut this off, but I had to peel it. The edge of the chassis pushed the **** out and then there was no way except to get down to the plane. Then it came out. I guess I could glue it back down but then the volume of the glue would make it even tighter.

Maybe I should grind down the bare wood a bit ? Or maybe I should grind down the chassis pans.

I am trying not to break ****, that is not what I get paid for bu it seems to be easier said than done. And all this applies to amp heads, not just combos. And these big old tube ones, damn.

But these are nice amps and people like them. Plus, no matter what I would rather see them than most of the new class D ****.

And then, I had one, a tube amp but with some solid state (so it wasn't from 19****ing15) that had no bleeders on the main filters at like 500 volts, and absolutely no way to bleed them that was apparent before removing the board. Who the designs this **** ? People who can't do real audio or anything really useful ? For want of a 68K resistor. How the hell did they get that past the UL ?

Rant over, please do add. Any advice on these made to stay put cases and cabinets would be appreciated. I am really thinking of groinging stuff down at this point because if we get involved with it and it comes back, it comes back to me. Unless I quit.

Oh yeah, I got a chance to go work for RSQ. Their stuff it really a blast too, I just met with a rep last week. I do not know where this is going but I can tell you this - it is less heavy lifting and my back is tired.