Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default knurl stainless steel

On 2015-11-11, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

How about a cut style knurling tool. It may cost more than the
lathe did, but it exists. :-)

Haven't been reading the rest of the posts, huh, Don? G

Well ... I did after I posted my thoughts. :-)

(And cut knurls aren't all that expensive...)

Last I specifically looked for them in MSC, they were
significantly over $1000.00 -- and my 12x24" lathe was about the same.
Granted, the lathe was from 1957, and the cut style knurl was brand new.
:-)

O.K. Made by Dorian, $1,188.82 for one with a size range of
0.75" to 5" diameter workpiece. (Not counting the cutters, of course. :-)
And -- a bit larger than my toolpost will handle. (3/4" shank, while I
need a 5/8" shank max.)

So -- this would not cut small enough to do the knurling on
stainless steel dental picks as per the original question (which
typically are hollow for ease of control).

Yes -- I have used a scissors style knurling tool to knurl
Stainless Steel -- but that was 416 SS -- a lot more workable than
something like 304. :-)

And for hollow handles for dental picks, I think that the crush
force would be too great and destroy the workpiece. That is why I
suggested cut style knurling tools.

And yes -- you *can* get them for less on eBay -- but if you
need them right *now* for a paid project, you have to deal with the new
price. :-)

Oh yes --- I also did not want to type too much, because I am
recovering from the surgery which removed the titanium plate and screws
from my arm -- which had been broken and repaired about a year ago.
Remember that I was fairly quiet back then, too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail