Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Hot and cold fill washing machines

On 2015-11-04, S Viemeister wrote:

On 11/4/2015 11:54 AM, Capitol wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:

So why does the US market use hot and cold fill machines?
American dual-fill washing machines don't have internal heating
elements. The "hot" program fills the wash phase from the hot tap
water (including the dead leg, I presume, unless there's a diverter in
the input); the "cold" program fills it from the cold tap water; the
"warm" program uses a mixture. Those machines do not have the
high-temperature "sanitizing" (or "blasting your towels") programs
that we get. (OTOH, we don't generally get a true cold program; I'd
be happy to use that for some things because they last longer.)

Some don't have internal heaters, some do.

Our most recent US washer has an internal heater which only functions on
the 'sanitize' program - otherwise it simply mixes hot and cold.

I think that's unusual (but certainly not implausible). Does it run
on a 240 V plug?