Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Hot and cold fill washing machines

On 2015-11-04, Tim Watts wrote:

On 04/11/15 12:10, Martin Bonner wrote:

Hmm. Not had mould problems in our washing machine, despite (I think)
*never* having done a 90C wash.

Did you do a 60C wash?

I think a lot of the modern problems have come about with people never
going above 40C or even 30C, because of this silly eco-******** that
it's worth saving some small fraction of a kWh for a 30C wash vs 60C

I think clothes last longer if washed at lower temperatures. I do use
the higher ones for handkerchiefs, towels, sheets, & underwear,
though.

Possibly. They almost certainly last longer if you don't tumble dry
them, judging by how much lint ends up in the filters!

That probably helps too, although I compromise with it in order to
limit the amount of laundry hanging around in the house during the
winter. But I think towels are a lot softer after tumble-drying.