Michael McNeil

Default Kitchen cupboard door fittings

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...
"bigbrian" wrote in message
news:7e24050d871c2732850b5610fb3bc2ef@TeraNews...

With apologies for the amateur explanation.....

I've got a problem with a kitchen cupboard door. Its the one under the
oven, and its next to another cupboard that has a drawer above it. The
one I have a problem with has no drawer above it, but is the same
height as the adjacent cupboard and drawer combined.

Still with me?

In order that the door panelling wasn't out of synch, the cupboard
under the oven has a dummy drawer front (without a knob) built into
the top of the door, so that when you open the door, the door and the
dummy drawer front open together to reveal the inside of the cupboard.
The problem is that the dummy drawer front has detached itself from
the rest of the door.

It looks like it had been held on by a couple of metal pins fitted
into both the top of the door, and the bottom of the dummy drawer
front....these have both sheared offleaving the top of the
door..er...topless.

My next move is........?

Thanks

Brian

Hi BigBrian,

Pick up a bit of 6 mm plywood, about the width of the door and about 100 mm
wide itself. Some glue, and 6 by 12 mm gauge 6 wood
screws.

Nothing visible from
the front, apart from the drawer and door, and once fixed back into place on
the cupboard. Jobs done. :-))

It's a lot easier than trying to find metal plates and it's a whole lot
cheaper.

I take it that the doors are not returnable? And you have looked at
the dowels holding them and they are irreplacable?

One more thing is paint a black line to overlap both doors so that the
closed door will appear to have a shadow between them. I think you
will have a job glueing melamine with pva. If it fails, scrape it off
and try some superglue.

If that fails.....