Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Credit where due

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 18:37:53 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

As I said, my 386/25's with 13M RAM and a 60M disk (and a *tiny* color
monitor) cost me $8K/each. People take for granted how inexpensive
things have become! Each of my workstations has 1T of disk and
the slowest one is 3GHz dual processor.

I've always had plenty of disk space. Put a 30mb hard drive in my
original IBM PC soon after I bought it. Cost about $500, the price of
a decent used car in '84.
I had just started working on contract at McDonald's corporate in '95
and allocated about 500mb for some testing. Can't remember how many
cylinders, but it wasn't excessive in my experience. They were
probably still using 3380's.
Soon Data Management phoned me and told me I needed pre-approval
to allocate that much space. Okay. I was already done testing and
had freed the space.
Later I went for a smoke and was introduced to another smoker, who was
the head of the data management department. He said "You the Vic that
grabbed all my space?" I laughed and said I had 3 times that space on
my hard drives at home.
He said, "Bring 'em in here."