View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default TV Pictu What Does "Calibration" Mean???

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 9:29:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:

And you agree with calibration in your particular case. I
did notice that you seem to think that calibration is some-
thing that must be done periodically(every year or two for
example).

No, I stated that the settings, once done, were remarkably stable, even through power-failures. I did have to re-calibrate after a 6-day failure (Hurricane Sandy), but not for failures as long as several hours.

That may have applied in the case of CRT-based TVs or
projectors, yes. But not with modern digital flat technology
- UNLESS - you change one of your input sources, or
upgrade, I.E. from a standard DVD to a Blu-Ray deck.
You then recalibrate that input for that device. I tell
all of my customers this: that their calibrated settings
should not drift for at least a decade.

I have not experienced that need - we switched about 2 years ago from a basic DVD player to a compatible, self-upgrading blue-ray DVD with no visible need to re-calibrate - and the software with the kit verified this.

"That would be my take on the use of that term-of-art for our particular unit. "

Not sure what you mean by "term of art".
Please elaborate.

Term-of-Art: A word, combination of words or phrase specific to one thing that is used outside of its common definition. To me the term "calibrate" is specific to measuring devices, meters, tube testers, signal generators, rotameters, gauges and so forth that are set to a specific standard such that measurements from them can be trusted. I would not generally consider arbitrary settings based, in part, on taste rather than independent standards, would be any sort of 'calibration'. At least, again, as I understand and would normally use the term. There are those that prefer bright settings and cartoonish colors. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA