Posted to uk.d-i-y
Muddymike[_2_] Muddymike[_2_] is offline

Default WD40 in a woodburner

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 7:53:19 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 22/10/2015 06:58, harry wrote:
On 2015-10-21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2015 15:30, NY wrote:
"Part Timer" wrote in message
Ever wondered what happens if you put a can of WD40 in a
woodburner?

https://www.facebook.com/hollandshar...type=2&theater

or http://tinyurl.com/pwkw4bd

Not something to try at home!

I was surprised at how long it took before the can exploded. I
would
have expected the plastic valve near the nozzle to melt quicker
than
that, and maybe to cause an impressive jet of flame for a while
before
the whole can exploded.

Bloody hell, assuming it was a *full* can that must be more than a
hand-grenade's worth of energy inside a not very strong cast iron
box.

... inside a building. What a maroon.

OK to lob a can on a bonfire then?:-)

--
Adam

I've seen it done (with a can of spray paint)
The can shot out of the fire like a rocket.

I think a can of easy start might be interesting.
Or a propane cylinder.

If you watch videos of fires on the news, something normally "blows" on
LPG cylinders and you get a jet of flame, insufficient to turn it into a
rocket, and the cylinder itself doesn't explode. It *might* be that the
same happened in this case and that it was the containment provided by
the woodburner, probably the windows or the lid, which "blew".

Not true. Many years ago I witnessed, at a distance of a bout a 1/2 mile, a
fire at a Propane gas store. Numerous gas bottles at times were blown high
into the air.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFj28hoioAc
Truck carrying gas cylinders crashes and catches fire.
From about 2:50 onwards gas cylinders are rocketing in all directions from
the fire.

Mike