Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WD40 in a woodburner

Ever wondered what happens if you put a can of WD40 in a woodburner?

https://www.facebook.com/hollandshar...type=2&theater

or http://tinyurl.com/pwkw4bd

Not something to try at home!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 14:29:00 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 13:54:36 +0100, Part Timer
wrote:

Ever wondered what happens if you put a can of WD40 in a woodburner?

https://www.facebook.com/hollandshar...type=2&theater

or http://tinyurl.com/pwkw4bd

Not something to try at home!

Says a lot about the people who use Facebook?

Yes, the moron can't even hold his phone the right way round.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Part Timer" wrote in message
Ever wondered what happens if you put a can of WD40 in a woodburner?

https://www.facebook.com/hollandshar...type=2&theater

or http://tinyurl.com/pwkw4bd

Not something to try at home!

I was surprised at how long it took before the can exploded. I would have
expected the plastic valve near the nozzle to melt quicker than that, and
maybe to cause an impressive jet of flame for a while before the whole can
exploded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2015 15:30, NY wrote:
"Part Timer" wrote in message
Ever wondered what happens if you put a can of WD40 in a woodburner?

https://www.facebook.com/hollandshar...type=2&theater

or http://tinyurl.com/pwkw4bd

Not something to try at home!

I was surprised at how long it took before the can exploded. I would
have expected the plastic valve near the nozzle to melt quicker than
that, and maybe to cause an impressive jet of flame for a while before
the whole can exploded.

Bloody hell, assuming it was a *full* can that must be more than a
hand-grenade's worth of energy inside a not very strong cast iron box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2015-10-21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2015 15:30, NY wrote:
"Part Timer" wrote in message
Ever wondered what happens if you put a can of WD40 in a woodburner?

https://www.facebook.com/hollandshar...type=2&theater

or http://tinyurl.com/pwkw4bd

Not something to try at home!

I was surprised at how long it took before the can exploded. I would
have expected the plastic valve near the nozzle to melt quicker than
that, and maybe to cause an impressive jet of flame for a while before
the whole can exploded.

Bloody hell, assuming it was a *full* can that must be more than a
hand-grenade's worth of energy inside a not very strong cast iron box.

... inside a building. What a maroon.

OK to lob a can on a bonfire then?:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Oct 2015 18:09:24 GMT, Huge wrote:

I was surprised at how long it took before the can exploded. I would
have expected the plastic valve near the nozzle to melt quicker than
that, and maybe to cause an impressive jet of flame for a while before
the whole can exploded.

Bloody hell, assuming it was a *full* can that must be more than a
hand-grenade's worth of energy inside a not very strong cast iron box.

... inside a building. What a maroon.

Perhaps he was trying to summon a lifeboat.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-10-21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2015 15:30, NY wrote:
"Part Timer" wrote in message
Ever wondered what happens if you put a can of WD40 in a woodburner?

https://www.facebook.com/hollandshar...type=2&theater

or http://tinyurl.com/pwkw4bd

Not something to try at home!

I was surprised at how long it took before the can exploded. I would
have expected the plastic valve near the nozzle to melt quicker than
that, and maybe to cause an impressive jet of flame for a while before
the whole can exploded.

Bloody hell, assuming it was a *full* can that must be more than a
hand-grenade's worth of energy inside a not very strong cast iron box.

... inside a building. What a maroon.

OK to lob a can on a bonfire then?:-)

--
Adam

I've seen it done (with a can of spray paint)
The can shot out of the fire like a rocket.

I think a can of easy start might be interesting.
Or a propane cylinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-10-21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2015 15:30, NY wrote:
"Part Timer" wrote in message
[...]

If you watch videos of fires on the news, something normally "blows" on
LPG cylinders and you get a jet of flame, insufficient to turn it into a
rocket, and the cylinder itself doesn't explode. It *might* be that the
same happened in this case and that it was the containment provided by
the woodburner, probably the windows or the lid, which "blew".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-10-21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2015 15:30, NY wrote:
"Part Timer" wrote in message
[...]

As the Glasgow airport "bombers" found out. Such cylinders are fitted with
a fusible plug that is designed to melt and release the contents rapidly
rather than explosively.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tim+" wrote in message
I was surprised at how long it took before the can exploded. I would
have expected the plastic valve near the nozzle to melt quicker than
that, and maybe to cause an impressive jet of flame for a while
before
the whole can exploded.

Bloody hell, assuming it was a *full* can that must be more than a
hand-grenade's worth of energy inside a not very strong cast iron
box.

If you watch videos of fires on the news, something normally "blows" on
LPG cylinders and you get a jet of flame, insufficient to turn it into a
rocket, and the cylinder itself doesn't explode.

As the Glasgow airport "bombers" found out. Such cylinders are fitted
with
a fusible plug that is designed to melt and release the contents rapidly
rather than explosively.

Yes, that's what I'd expect to happen with an aerosol can: that the valve in
the nozzle would melt and release the contents, rapidly rather than
explosively, long before the pressure built to the point where the metal of
the can sheared at its weakest point and dumped its contents explosively.

Even an inert propellant will increase in pressure enough to make the can
rip open; if the propellant or payload is flammable, then that makes things
even more dramatic - which is what you'd think they'd want to avoid with
aerosol cans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-10-21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2015 15:30, NY wrote:
"Part Timer" wrote in message
[...]

Not true. Many years ago I witnessed, at a distance of a bout a 1/2 mile, a fire at a Propane gas store. Numerous gas bottles at times were blown high into the air.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK to lob a can on a bonfire then?:-)

--
Adam

I've seen it done (with a can of spray paint)
The can shot out of the fire like a rocket.

I think a can of easy start might be interesting.
Or a propane cylinder.

If you watch videos of fires on the news, something normally "blows" on
LPG cylinders and you get a jet of flame, insufficient to turn it into a
rocket, and the cylinder itself doesn't explode. It *might* be that the
same happened in this case and that it was the containment provided by
the woodburner, probably the windows or the lid, which "blew".

Not true. Many years ago I witnessed, at a distance of a bout a 1/2 mile,
a fire at a Propane gas store. Numerous gas bottles at times were blown
high into the air.

If that was the fire in Croydon in the 1970s, I saw it too but from
Wimbledon perhaps six miles away. Spectacular.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-10-21, newshound wrote:
On 21/10/2015 15:30, NY wrote:
"Part Timer" wrote in message
[...]

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFj28hoioAc
Truck carrying gas cylinders crashes and catches fire.
From about 2:50 onwards gas cylinders are rocketing in all directions from
the fire.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFj28hoioAc
Truck carrying gas cylinders crashes and catches fire.
From about 2:50 onwards gas cylinders are rocketing in all directions from
the fire.

Good thing they weren't acetylene cylinders. Apparently they are even more
dangerous. When roads and railway lines are closed due to a fire and a
several-hundred metre exclusion zone, it's usually acetylene (and associate
oxygen) cylinders from oxy-acetylene welding kit.

There was a fire at a garage just down the road from me about 8 years ago
and that started in welding equipment - and then spread to the underground
petrol tanks. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/7219206.stm -
luckily I lived just outside the exclusion zone so I wasn't evacuated, and I
managed to work my way round to the other side (driving several miles to do
what was about 1/4 mile) and took some of the photos in the article. The
noise of the explosions was *very* loud. The fire brigade set up a "paddling
pool" of water into which they could dump any hot acetylene cylinders that
had not exploded, which is not a job you'd get me doing: transporting a
cylinder that could explode at any moment. The garage site was a mess for
several years until insurance and liability was finally sorted out and the
place was rebuilt. A friend's car had a lucky escape: he was due to leave it
there overnight to have a new tyre fitted but decided instead to call back
with the car in the morning, so it escaped going up in flames.

Mind you, even inert compressed gas is dangerous. My A level chemistry
teacher had taught "in industry" before becoming a teacher and he worked in
a building near Heathrow. One of the young engineers (who should have known
better) tried to unscrew the main valve-plus-gauge unit from a big 4-foot
nitrogen cylinder, possibly when he should have been unscrewing a hose from
it. The valve blew off, shot through the ceiling and was found several miles
away just inside the perimeter fence of Heathrow by a routine security
patrol. The cylinder was pushed through the floor and buried itself in the
concrete floor below. No trace of the engineer was found. And that's due to
pressure alone - nitrogen is not flammable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've seen it done (with a can of spray paint)
The can shot out of the fire like a rocket.

I think a can of easy start might be interesting.
Or a propane cylinder.

Many years ago, about 1960, coming back from school of a winter evening I
witnessed a fire in one of my fathers rented artisan workshops.
A cylinder of dissolved acetylene went up, and I do mean up. As in a rocket.
The cylinder went through the roof and continued skyward. DA cylinders are
bl**dy heavy. It was found the next morning about 50 yards away.
Gutted the workshop and those adjoining it. Nobody hurt fortunately. Fire
brigade sorted the fire. Roof gone but structure sound.
Re-roofed and refitted. Workshops still in use today

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 16:23:10 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

A cylinder of dissolved acetylene went up ...

Dissolved in what?

Acetone, usually.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetyl...y_and_handling
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , NY
escribió:

No trace of the engineer was found

Not even blood and gory bits?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Nick
wrote:

A cylinder of dissolved acetylene went up ...

Dissolved in what?

I believe it's in acetone. The cylinder has a honeycomb structure inside to
act as baffles to stop the acetone and dissolved acetylene from sloshing
around too much because that might cause it to self-detonate. Acetylene
cylinders really are not to be trifled with :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2015 14:31, NY wrote:

Mind you, even inert compressed gas is dangerous. My A level chemistry
teacher had taught "in industry" before becoming a teacher and he worked
in a building near Heathrow. One of the young engineers (who should have
known better) tried to unscrew the main valve-plus-gauge unit from a big
4-foot nitrogen cylinder, possibly when he should have been unscrewing a
hose from it. The valve blew off, shot through the ceiling and was found
several miles away just inside the perimeter fence of Heathrow by a
routine security patrol. The cylinder was pushed through the floor and
buried itself in the concrete floor below. No trace of the engineer was
found. And that's due to pressure alone - nitrogen is not flammable.

That doesn't sound quite right. He might have lost a hand or an arm or
been killed by it if very unlucky but he would still be there.

I have known an industrial accident where an unchained nitrogen cylinder
fell over and knocked the valve clean off. The valve went through a few
brick walls and several asbestos process sheds before coming to rest.
Fortunately it didn't intersect with anyone on the way. The cylinder
suffered a version of the hose pipe instability and scudded round the
shed spinning horizontally as it went. Doing a fair amount of damage but
again missing people. The unfortunate engineer was deaf for a couple of
days and probably had long term hearing loss.

At university we had someone use ordinary rubber pipe and no regulator
on a 2000psi gas bottle. He cracked the valve open a little and saw the
tube instantly blow up to beachball size followed by an enormous bang
and then silence. ISTR it took a week for his hearing to return.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2015 10:08, NY wrote:
Yes, that's what I'd expect to happen with an aerosol can: that the
valve in the nozzle would melt and release the contents, rapidly rather
than explosively, long before the pressure built to the point where the
metal of the can sheared at its weakest point and dumped its contents
explosively.

Experience says otherwise :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2015 18:20, Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/10/2015 14:31, NY wrote:

[...]

I've seen an HSE picture of that (or a *very* similar) accident site,
with the trajectory "drawn in", during a training course some decades ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mcp mcp is offline

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 07:23:18 +0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

As the Glasgow airport "bombers" found out. Such cylinders are fitted with
a fusible plug that is designed to melt and release the contents rapidly
rather than explosively.

They would go off explosively in large parts of the world including
the middle east which is presumably where they got the idea from.

Islamic terrorists foiled by the EU bureaucrats and the Health and
Safety Executive. It's enough to give The Daily Mail readers
palpitations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As the Glasgow airport "bombers" found out. Such cylinders are fitted with
a fusible plug that is designed to melt and release the contents rapidly
rather than explosively.

They would go off explosively in large parts of the world including
the middle east which is presumably where they got the idea from.

That makes no sense. The most significant feature of the Glasgow airport
"bombing" was the way that the cylinders *didn't* explode. Would moving
them somewhere else make a difference?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2015 14:31, NY wrote:
The valve blew off, shot through the ceiling and was found several miles
away just inside the perimeter fence of Heathrow by a routine security
patrol. The cylinder was pushed through the floor and buried itself in
the concrete floor below. No trace of the engineer was found.

That's very surprising. A range of several miles would imply the valve
was accelerated to supersonic speed within the few inches it was close
to the cylinder.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/15 21:43, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/10/2015 14:31, NY wrote:
The valve blew off, shot through the ceiling and was found several miles
away just inside the perimeter fence of Heathrow by a routine security
patrol. The cylinder was pushed through the floor and buried itself in
the concrete floor below. No trace of the engineer was found.

That's very surprising. A range of several miles would imply the valve
was accelerated to supersonic speed within the few inches it was close
to the cylinder.

as most bullets are..

Andy

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mcp mcp is offline

wrote:

As the Glasgow airport "bombers" found out. Such cylinders are fitted with
a fusible plug that is designed to melt and release the contents rapidly
rather than explosively.

They would go off explosively in large parts of the world including
the middle east which is presumably where they got the idea from.

That makes no sense. The most significant feature of the Glasgow airport
"bombing" was the way that the cylinders *didn't* explode. Would moving
them somewhere else make a difference?

Not moving the cylinders, using locally supplied ones which don't have
the fusible plug.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2015 14:31, NY wrote:

Good thing they weren't acetylene cylinders. Apparently they are even
more dangerous. When roads and railway lines are closed due to a fire
and a several-hundred metre exclusion zone, it's usually acetylene (and
associate oxygen) cylinders from oxy-acetylene welding kit.

Acetylene is very dangerous due to it exploding spontaneously if its
pressurised by more than about 1 atmosphere.

Its dissolved in acetone to stop it exploding..
but if you draw it off too fast you can lose the acetone and then the
remaining acetylene with explode all by itself.

The old acetylene lamps used to be powered by dissolving calcium carbide
which made acetylene and they would blow up if the jet got blocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen Mawson
writes

[...]

I think not a store, unless there was more than spectacularity at the
time. I worked on the 20th floor of Lunar House (top ten floors weren't
the immigration dept., sorry Harry and co.) from 1976-79, a few hundred
yards from West Croydon station. A freight train with 12 or so tanker
carriages in a siding ignited and caused most interesting fireworks.
Several of us young un's watched through the window, ignoring
loudspeaker warnings not to do so.
--
Nick (=----)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 1:54:44 PM UTC+1, Part timer wrote:
Ever wondered what happens if you put a can of WD40 in a woodburner?

https://www.facebook.com/hollandshar...type=2&theater

or http://tinyurl.com/pwkw4bd

Not something to try at home!

What a fuel.

There are Youtube videos of using a squirt of WD40 to explosively expand a tubeless tyre onto a wheel rim and seat the bead. I don't know whether it's the WD40 or the propellant gas that goes bang. I've done it once and it was quite impressive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2015 14:31, NY wrote:
The valve blew off, shot through the ceiling and was found several miles
away just inside the perimeter fence of Heathrow by a routine security
patrol. The cylinder was pushed through the floor and buried itself in
the concrete floor below. No trace of the engineer was found.

That's very surprising. A range of several miles would imply the valve
was accelerated to supersonic speed within the few inches it was close
to the cylinder.

as most bullets are..

.... inside a carefully shaped cylinder. Which is usually several feet
long. Heck, even a 45 magnum pistol won't make Mach 2.

Andy