Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Hand tools

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 2:09:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 05:30:53 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

when I took it back, I didnt' want to spring for the next higher
price, so I took another pair just like the ones I had. So far they
haven't broken but when I worked on my car the last time, I used 4
jack stands and two jacks at the same time. I was still scared.

The problem with things like jack stands is they *seem* to fit the
criteria of "simple, no moving parts" -- sort of like autobody tools,
anvils, etc.: "Can't *possibly* be anything 'wrong' with something
as simple as this!"

But, few folks can look at a casting and determine if the metal is
brittle, porous, etc. I.e., will it actually support the expected
load or will it fail. How thick does that thing REALLY need to be to
meet it's stated characteristics?

I've never trusted jack stands. I have some pieces of railroad ties
about 3' long that I put under the tires, and if needed, a few blocks of
2x10 if I want it a little higher. That's in addition to leaving my
(quality) floor jack in place, after lowering it enough so the tires are
tight against the wooden blocks. The other two tires still on the ground
are well blocked too. I dont raise all 4 tires. That's just not safe.
I'd rather take it to a garage with a hoist and pay the bill if needed.

What do you do if the wheels have to come off?