Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Hand tools

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 23:26:29 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 10/20/2015 2:30 AM, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:00:51 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 10/19/2015 11:58 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/19/2015 10:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
So, the question is, what tools to avoid, consider and criteria
used in making those decisions? And criteria to use in "broad brush"
dismissals of whole categories of tools?

I have some of their sockets and open wrenches that aren't too bad.
They're in an unsecured tool tube on the bike so if they're ripped off I
haven't lost much.

A floor jack spit the lift pad at me the first time I used it. After
replacing the rivet it's serviceable. I have an electric impact driver
that works. I don't use it very often but for the price, around $50
iirc, it was worth it.

A set of number drills works okay for soft material. C-clamps are hard
to screw up. A chain breaker did its job. A tubing flaring tool was
utter crap.

Fortunately I can walk to HF during lunch hour and see the stuff first
hand. It's too hit or miss otherwise.

I bought a small chipper shredder there and so far it works fine.

Shredder? Is this for paper?

No. It's for chopping/shredding up small tree branches and leaves.

Chipper? You're quite a gal. I don't know anyone who owns his own
one of those.

It's just an electric chipper, and it only does small branches.

I never heard of that before.

I read the Freecycle mailing list, and when I reply I always give my
phone number. When I offer something, I give my phone number if they
let me, and certainly in my first reply to anyone who answer. It
takes so much less time by phone, but only one person has ever called
me.

One woman insisted on meeting me in a shopping center. First she
offered to drop it off at my house but when I lived 3 miles away that
was too much, so i had to meet her near her. 10 emails back and forth
to pick the time, and after all that, she didn't tell me what her car
looked like. I drove all over the big lot and then waited near the
entrance.

I was supposed to get a 9" and 14" tv, but it was a typo and I got
stuck with a 19" tv. I had no choice but to take it.

Then she said she had some remotes, and she also said she thought she
recognized me. We agreed that I used to run the outdoor club she was
a member of, 20 years ago. I emailed, well, since you've known me for
20 years, maybe you could leave the remotes outside your house and I
could pick them up. No. Or you could drop them off. No. They
weren't for the tv's she gave me so I gave up on them.

I did about 20 events a year for 8 years and I don't actually remember
either her or her name. She must have been a lot younger and cuter
then but I still don't remember her. And she thinks I will attack
her now? Gimme a break.

Most other people are far less scared, say where they live, let me
come over at night even. Although I had a guy who gave me a
water-immersed camera who was practically naked when he answered the
door. He didn't do anything untoward, however. I coudl have fixed
the camera except they no longer make the cell battery that was inside
it. The replacement is probably too big to fit.