Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Recommendations on .380 ACP ammunition.

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 20:11:24 +0700
John B. wrote:

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 01:07:28 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 10/19/2015 8:54 PM, wrote:
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 5:01:18 PM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:

Any gun owner that doesn't have and use a safe should be shot!
Also, if you have kids, get one with a combination lock, kids will
ALWAYS find keys.

All gun owners should teach gun safety to all the members of their
family. Kids are likely to find guns sometime. If the kids know gun
safety, they will be okay even if they find guns and ammunition at
the neighbours house.

Dan

Depends on how old they are. Kids have friends over. Why take the
chance? The responsible thing to do is get a safe!

I have the feeling that is at least partially the modern attitude to
those dangerous things. When I was a kid I would venture to say that
every farm house had at least one gun "behind the kitchen door" and
many undoubtedly had more than one. Kids were taught from the time
that they could crawl not to "fool when them guns". My granddad kept
five or six guns in the corner and the grand kids were taught not to
touch them and we didn't.

And as I remember it, there wasn't much appeal to them, more of less
like daddy's double bitted axe or his favorite framing hammer. We knew
what they were and we knew not to fool with them and likely by the
time we were 12 years old we had one of our own anyway. My father
bought me a Winchester single shot; bolt action,.22 when I was 12
years old after I had bucked stove wood for a half hour every day
after school all winter long. I guess there weren't any laws about
child labor in those days and that rifle cost a whole five dollars,
second hand. And I dare you to touch MY gun :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

+1

Didn't really have the farm, just some property in a rural area. It was
usually a double barrel shotgun that stood beside the kitchen door.
As a very young kid the twin triggers were what always intrigued me the
most. More often than not it was loaded too. It was something you
didn't mess with unless Dad was supervising. They were just a part of
the house no different than the gas stove or knives in the kitchen.
There was a bolt-action .22 standing by a bedroom door. I had free
access to rifles and shotguns to take out hunting when I was around 10
years old. Don't remember a specific date, it just gradually happened.

I didn't get to have a BB gun till I was well into my teens. Dad didn't
like BB guns and looking back now I know why...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b