Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Anybody have a Rockwell BladeRunner X2?

On 2015-10-14, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 21:42:20 -0400, krw wrote:

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 19:41:36 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

John Doe wrote:
...and isn't afraid to admit it?

What's wrong with a commercial product that employs an upside down
jigsaw? Uses standard, or at least semi-standard, jigsaw blades. I'm
sure it pales in comparison to using common tools like a bandsaw or a
tablesaw, but if it's a toy, this demonstration must be an allusion...

Over the years, the term jigsaw seems to have changed meaning.
To me, it was a saw with a table, and an overhead spring-loaded arm
which used coping saw blades. Great for the kind of curved cuts you see
in a jigsaw puzzle.

However, when you talk of an "upside-down jigsaw", I think of
what was called a saber saw when I bought one as a kid in about 1958 or
so. Yes, I later added the table to hold it upside down -- doing my
work on the fourth floor of my parent's house, where a table saw would
be a major problem to get up the narrow stairs -- *if* I could have
afforded one at the time. And my use was for cutting out various arms
and levers for making a 10-1/2" reel-to-reel tape deck, using 1/4"
aluminum stock for the task.

I would have loved to have a vertical bandsaw for the task. I
did a lot of cutting with that thing, and a lot of file work to clean up
the sides.

These days, an intersting floor mounted table for a Milwaukee
reciprocating saw might make that an easier task. (But I don't think
that those even existed at the time.) It would have the advantage of
different blades for curved cuts or straight cuts (same as a bandsaw
with a choice of blade widths.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--