Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim[_63_] Jim[_63_] is offline

Default Farm table part Deux: Top glue up?

On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 10:04:33 AM UTC-4, Jim wrote:
First, let me thank everybody for the input on the wood type I seem to using for this project. Probably southern yellow pine.

I have the 3 boards (~12x84x1.5)ready for glue up. I am not using breadboard ends. My plan is to either use biscuits or some kind of spline for greater strength and alignment. I'm not quite sure here so any input would be appreciated.

I also plan to put boards across the bottom of the top, about every 2 feet or so. Probably overkill, but I do want this to last a long time.

The final product should look sort of like this:

http://www.mortisetenon.com/assets/i...ning-table.jpg

Sonny, thank you.

Leon,I could not agree with you more, which is why I am not familiar with using stains, but the "customer" (son's new bride) wanted it dark, so here I am. Yeah some of the irregularities I can live with, it even looks interesting. The main thing I don't like is the way the legs all seem to be 10 shades lighter then the tops and bottoms. I have no idea why. If I apply more stain to just those sections and wipe it off after 15 min, they don't look much different. Sort of like they are saturated. I'm going to put poly on them anyway, so I thought what if I used some of that shaded poly on just the light sections? Maybe just sand them again and re-try the stain? No idea. Hope it isn't so apparent once it's all together

I am VERY happy with the top though...