Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Farm table part Deux: Top glue up?

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 2:48:45 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
In particular the cross pieces between the legs on the bottom. The won't go darker even if I apply more stain.

FWIW I try my hardest to not stain or change the color of wood. The
wood you are working with tends to be difficult, in the best of
circumstances, to cover evenly.
Anyway stains tend to make a piece look a consistent color throughout
and typically hides the beauty of the wood. But some times the customer
dictates the finish and this is what you have to contend with.

Where I am going with this is that the location of the pieces and their
orientation have a lot to do with how lite or dark the wood appears and
this is especially true with unstained woods. I have shown customers
that the rail on a cabinet door looks lite while the stile made from the
same board appears dark. Then that all changes to the opposite
lite/dark appearance if I turn the door panel 90 degrees.

If your pieces seem to change shades from different viewing angles you
can't prevent that.

Yep, exactly.

It looks great. Good job. Can't wait to see the whole table asembled.

Sonny