Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Got my Cree flashlight today Equip Review

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 09:11:21 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 08:16:03 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ignoramus20656" wrote in
message ...
I had two similar ****s.

Advertised as premium units, "aircraft aluminum", many lifetime
run
hours promised.

Bought on Amazon.

Both broke after a month of moderate use.

Are they repairable?

A few weeks ago I checked the 2xAA Maglite in the glove compartment
and found it had jarred itself On, and the batteries had leaked and
corroded the insides. I wrenched it open, removed the bulb and "Do
Not
Remove" part of the holder and pounded out the batteries, scrubbed
out
the oxide, reassembled it and it works fine now.

-jsw

Indeed. Ive had to drill/bore out bad batteries in Maglites. Still
working fine. Other brands..I generally toss in the trash.
I wound up with a huge box of Eveready plastic flashlights a couple
years ago..all brand new..must have been 30 of them, 2 D battery
types. Its nearly impossible to find alkalines in D battery sizes
anymore. When I find tem...they cost more than the flashlights.

Gunner

I looked at how I use flashlights and realized I don't need alkalines'
long run time from the ones I leave scattered around for emergencies
or finding something in the shed. There isn't much you can do to fix a
car beside the road without spare parts. When I was attending night
school I replaced the bulbs as part of winter car prep each fall, and
carried a set of the used ones as spares to give away to needy
friends.

I have a flashlite in EVERy room in the. I mounted a piece of grey
PVC pipe to the wall, low down next to the exit door of each room and
keep a cheap D cell flashlite in each "holder". I keep alkalines in
each flashlight because they tend to not leak over time. Now I just
looked..and about half the holders are empty..sigh...so Ive just
ragged on the roomies and the wife and told them to put the ****ing
flashlights BACK!..and they are now stumbling around trying to find
them. They will find about half of them...then they will be told to
grab a flashlight from the flashlight crate, put in new batteries and
put them back in the freaking holders. They know the drill..we go
through this about every 6 months or so...damnit.

I put cheap windup flashlights in the sheds. They don't go bad and I
can usually find what I'm looking for on one brief winding.

I like those but the only way to "store" them is to hang them from a
nail..which has its own problems in a busy household.

A dim lantern that shows the ground all around serves me better at
night than a bright flashlight that ruins my night vision.

True. Which is why several flashlights in my bedroom have red or green
lenses and are only used for times when I need to preserve my night
vision. Which is seldom actually. Power is on about 99.999% of the
time here..very reliable and if it goes out..I simply fire up one of
the gensets. Ive a very very good early 4 legged early warning system
here for security and in the off chance I need a light, I usually have
a small light on my person. Hence the smallish flashlight I did the
review on. Ive got a bunch of small ones kicking around here...lots
of Maglite LED lights and so forth. I buy AAA / AA by the box. Shrug

Gunner

-jsw