Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Got my Cree flashlight today Equip Review

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 04:51:36 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 05:04:49 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 21:00:50 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:
Won a Cree 2500 on Ebay for $3.81 a couple weeks ago
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291566384088
And then bought a charger with a couple batteries to fit it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271362301489
Installed a battery and played with it.

Light button is almost flush with the body, yet very handy to operate.
There is a second "button" opposite the actual button..probably part
of the switch, a few seconds and I figured out by touch which is
which..no issues there whatsoever. They feel different in the dark so
you wont be hitting the wrong one over and over again..

Some other auctions linked from those show that the second button-like
bit is a cover for a charge port, apparently so the flashlight can be
charged without opening it. Eg, third picture at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-2500Lm-Hunting-3-Mode-Cree-XM-L-LED-Mini-Clip-Flashlight-Torch-Brown/252119003716

James, I believe the 3-mode flashlights are actually a different chip,
a Q5. The XM-L has 5 modes: high, medium, low, flasher, and SOS, and
are 60% brighter, a very noticeable difference. You can't trust the
advertising at all when it comes to LEDs from China. I've been having
fits for years now about that, and have received numerous refunds when
the lamps don't put out what they should. Caveat Emptor. I now have
about 18 different types of LEDs in various formats.

These http://tinyurl.com/oqfmct9 are much, much better lights, so make
one your next purchase. I got one for $4.50 and another for under $6.
I adore the zoom mode of the body, which makes the light -much- more
functional, going from spot to flood in a second. Look for the
bulbous zoom hood if you want to make sure it's an XM-L T6.
Unfortunately, it doesn't have the external charging port, but
swapping an 18650 is quick and painless. The 18650 batteries are
lighter than their 3 AAA equivalents, too.

Thanks! Larry. I just bid on one.

Gunner