jakdedert

Default Schematics for My TV

"Ian Molton" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:29:17 +1200
"Nigel" wrote:

who would undoubtedly
sue the manufacturer in the event of a death or serious injury
involving themselves or their family.

Damn the US and its litigous culture

people over here just dont think like that yet we still dont get
diagrams because the manufacturers are scared.

I just don't 'buy' it. A simple schematic is going to be useless to anyone
other than a person with at least 'some' technical knowledge; while on the
other hand, it would be invaluable to a person who could read it. Providing
it is going to cost--what?--maybe $0.002...the cost of the paper? After
all, it's not like they didn't have the original to copy. A schematic most
certainly *must* be drawn in order to manufacture the device in the first
place...and it's not like the manufacturers are going to provide any support
to a product which has gone defective anyway...especially after it's past
it's 'service life.'

Where's the liability? There are already placarded warnings on the back of
every electrical device against opening up the unit unless one has the
requisite technical know-how.

I'm convinced it's the companies *not wanting* things to be fixed; in favor
of replacing them with brand-new devices. After all, they don't make any
money if someone fixes their TV as opposed to buying a new one.

jak