Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Add-on to make accurate cuts with a rotary tool?

wrote in message
On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 9:53:34 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
I need to slice a piece off of a 1 1/4 inch socket. Also need to
cut a slot
into that socket.

Sure would be nice to have a rotary tool add-on...

1. That holds the rotary tool stationary.

2. Slowly and steadily moves or spins the work into the rotary tool
cut off
wheel (or other attachment).

Not sure of exactly how you want to cut the socket. But I have made
Vee blocks out of wood and think you could make a rotary tool add
on out of wood that would do what needs to be done.

Pallets are often made of oak which works well.

Of course if you have a table saw to make the add on, you can
probably mount an abrasive disk on the table saw and cut with that.

Dan

I've been waiting to see if he was clever enough to figure that out
for himself.

Now that you've revealed it, there's lots to go wrong, like igniting
sawdust and ruining the saw and motor bearings with grit. I run mine
at around 1800 RPM with a small motor that will lift to slip the belt
when the disk jams. I've shattered a cutoff wheel on my surface
grinder and don't need a repeat performance while I'm standing in the
fragments' flight path.

-jsw