Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Add-on to make accurate cuts with a rotary tool?

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 19:10:32 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 6:53:34 PM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
I need to slice a piece off of a 1 1/4 inch socket. Also need to cut a slot
into that socket.

Sure would be nice to have a rotary tool add-on...

1. That holds the rotary tool stationary.

2. Slowly and steadily moves or spins the work into the rotary tool cut off
wheel (or other attachment).

I'd use a surface grinder and my Newbould Grindit:

http://www.imperialnewbould.com/the-...d-grindit.html

It's the kind of expensive tool that no one in this group can really appreciate. Mine has paid for itself many times over with side jobs I've done with it.

Hey, that's a great suggestion, Jon. John is lacking a $500 hobby
lathe that would easily do the job, and you recommend a $5,000 spin
fixture. Great thinking!

--
Ed Huntress