Posted to alt.home.repair,trucks.chevy,alt.trucks.chevy
NotMe NotMe is offline

Default OT wire sealing tape for vehicle

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 11:12:57 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

See if there's any condensation inside the
distributor cap (if you even have one)

Yes, has one. Might be dry weather tomorrow.
I'll see if it starts. If it starts, I'll
spray water on things till I find what
makes it quit.

I had an old Chevy Impala (not by choice but necessity). When it
rained the engine would act the fool, run rough, etc. Late one night
in a rain storm, it start running bad.

Opened the hood and could see blue sparks fly around. Looked like a
Christmas tree lighting up.

The plug wires insulation were cracked and needed replacement.

If the distributor cap is getting wet inside, dry it out and using
plumber's putty to seal it. Same if you have a coil. As kids we could
make a Model A Ford run in deep water by sealing the cap and coil
wires

My dad use one of the spray tips from what now would be called an Arizona
Cool Mister. When it was dry and the engine ran right he would open the
hood (lights off in the dark) and wave the fine spray around. Did not take
long to fine the problem areas.

An aside he had a 63 VW and used parts off an old piper cub to install
armored plugs and wires. Dammed thing could run almost submerged.