Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Joist Attachment

On 10/9/2015 4:16 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 15:23:16 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 10/9/2015 11:49 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 11:28:48 -0500, Muggles wrote:

There's no really perfect place to build a tornado shelter. A house or
debris could fall on the entrance and people would be trapped. I think
a good idea would be to build a couple of access entrances to an under
ground shelter. Store food, lights, batteries, a working cell phone, and
other essentials in the shelter. I'd love to have a tornado shelter,
but they're so darn expensive.

At the early construction phase, adding a hardened safe room does not
add that much incremental cost.

That's a good thing. If it can be done at that stage I think it's a
good idea. Better to have a safe room like that and never need it.

I'd guess an ocean shipping container would be easy. Dig the hole,
make the entry and bury it. Containers can be had on Craigslist for
as little $2500.

I'd need a little more land for one of those! They are huge, but it's a
good idea.

I think the smallest container is ~ 20'.

Las Vegas has used them to build stores and shops. Other states use
them to build housing for poor folks and the needy.

http://downtowncontainerpark.com/

I've heard about them being used for things like that. Even under ground
bug out hide-a-ways for end of times preppers.

--
Maggie