Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bathroom floorboard dilemma

On Thursday, 8 October 2015 10:11:08 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

There were floorboards missing from under my bath and a few of the
other floorboards had been hacked by the previous owner, so I want to
get new floorboards. I'm undecided whether to just get new ones to
replace the missing and damaged ones or whether, as it is such a small
room, to do the lot.

what would be the upside of replacing the good ones with more good ones?

I know chipboard was recommended to me in another post but I don't
like the idea of that in a bathroom.

In my old house, the floorboards were 16mm thick. I went to a local
timber merchant and they planed wood down to that size for me. It did
not have tongues and grooves, but I never had any problems.

This new house has floorboards 22mm thick. I am finding it hard to
find anything that thick. Places like Wickes sell 18mm thick
floorboards and some builders merchants I have contacted sell 20mm
ones.

Jewsons were advertising a 22mm but when I got there it was a nominal
measurement; I presume that means before it was planed? They were
actually 18mm thick. They do a 25mm nominal one that is really 20mm
thick.

So you can readily get 22mm.

I am thinking I could do the whole room in 20mm thick boards and the
2mm drop from the 22mm boards on the landing would not be noticeable.
I am unsure whether I could "patch" the room with 20mm boards
alongside the 22m ones without it being noticeable. 2mm doesn't sound
a lot and it might be hidden by whatever I cover the floor with
(currently undecided) but I am not sure. Particularly in a room where
you will be barefoot.

I suppose I could try and find a timber merchant and get them to plane
something to 22mm and not worry about the tongues and grooves. Is that
a better idea? I know the tongues and grooves are supposed to
strengthen the floor and prevent draughts but are they that important?
What would the group recommend?

Thanks,
Stephen.

What a lot of pointlessness.

If there's any likelihood of the boards being on show, get used ones to match existing.