Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default 600W 2-stroke generator

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 19:39:17 +0100, ss wrote:

snip

I have a cheapo that hasnt seen the light of day for over 5 years, would
it be best to empty of everything and store dry?

Considering what you have said, I'd say 'yes, probably'.

It was actually given to me but have never had to use ....but maybe one day.

I have a couple for the exact same reason. ;-)

I generally run anything that I'm not likely to use for a while dry.
e.g. Turn the fuel off when it's running and let it run till it stops.
That means there is no / little fuel left in the float bowl (if it has
one) and it will be obvious when you use it next that the float has
stuck open by the petrol pouring out. A float stuck closed is less
obvious.

If you *know* you are going to lay a machine up for a long time then,
especially if it has a steel tank you might drain all the fuel out and
maybe swish some oil around the tank to coat it (if possible), to stop
it going rusty.

You can keep some fuel 'ready' but in a separate container then it's
easier to use it on something else and replace it with some fresh now
and again (I'll use it in the kitcar when the tank is nearly full or
about to fill up, even if it's a gallon of 2/). ;-)

Cheers, T i m