Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] news@loampitsfarm.co.uk is offline

Default 600W 2-stroke generator

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 09:59:12 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

Hello,

I bought one of these on a whim when it was in a sale a couple of
years ago. I've never used it properly but on the advice of people
here, I would run it with a load every now and again to make sure it
was working. What with moving house etc. it has not been used in a
long time. I found it whilst tidying the garage the other day and
cannot start it.

Is there anything I can try to resurrect it? The oil/petrol mix has
been in there a while, should I pour that out and start again?

I get many old chainsaws brought to me, last one was a Husqvarna 136
which had been abandoned 5 years previously and the fuel tank was
still 3/4 full. They normally start fine.

Main thing is the check for spark with plug out.

I often preheat the plug to burn any oil residue off. Then start as
normal, up to ten pulls with choke on or until it fires then choke off
and part throttle. If it fires then run on full throttle, as often any
fuel that has seeped into the crankcase will have evaporated leaving
the oil which needs burning off before it fouls the plug.

If the plug fouls heat it again

Holts easy start is still available from Halfords but only a whiff
and it doesn't work if there is a fundamental engine problem.

I too use one of these little gensets and it can be a pig to start
after storage but it always goes eventually. I'm told, but not tried
due to the expense, to leave them with Aspen2 mix in the tank for
easier starting.

AJH