Posted to uk.d-i-y
RayL12 RayL12 is offline

Default Black expanding foam

On 07/10/2015 11:31 PM, Robin wrote:
RayL12 wrote:

And, while on the subject of nuisance, most blood feeding insects, and
not only Dracula, hate garlic in the blood. That includes many
destructive bacteria, too.

Do you happen to have evidence for that from any qualified practioner or
peer-reviewed research? I ask as last time I checked[1] there was no
evidence that eating garlic stopped the buggers biting - although I
admit that you only claimed they then don't enjoy their meal.

[1] eg
Maia, Marta Ferreira, and Sarah J. Moore. "Plant-based insect
repellents: a review of their efficacy, development and testing." Malar
J 10.Suppl 1 (2011): S11.

"Another common misconception is that garlic is an effective repellent.
It does have a moderate repellent effect when rubbed on the skin,
although there are far more effective repellents available that also
have a more pleasing odour. The consumption of garlic however, has not
been shown to be effective at repelling mosquitoes."

http://patient.info/health/insect-bi...stings-leaflet
"There is no evidence that eating garlic, vitamin B1 or other foods will
repel insects."

I will let you and Rod determine the 'facts'. However, business being
what it is, you are hardly likely to find any studies showing a
comparatively free product getting any air-time.

Having said that, I found three site showing research done on garlic and
insect bites and guess what.....? No, I won't say, I might spoil your day.

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php