Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Black expanding foam

At last. A d-i-y thread:-)

Has anyone come across building grade gun or can expanding foam in
black?

My house is partly clad in black painted feather edge board nailed to
vertical battens. Poor original fitting, warping and shrinkage has led
to occasional gaps where the ends meet the undertile (verge?)

This allows space for uninvited guests:-(

Googling turns up lots of foam manufacturers/suppliers but apart from
red for fire rating and black for pond/gardening nothing so far for
normal building applications. Can the pond stuff be used?

With Sun exposure and Sadolin painted boards it needs UV proofing and to
resist future re-decoration. Also high ratio of closed cells for water
proofing.

Paint it? Only needed for small patches and I'm trying to avoid major
outdoor decorating jobs this late in the season.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/15 12:10, Tim Lamb wrote:
At last. A d-i-y thread:-)

Has anyone come across building grade gun or can expanding foam in black?

My house is partly clad in black painted feather edge board nailed to
vertical battens. Poor original fitting, warping and shrinkage has led
to occasional gaps where the ends meet the undertile (verge?)

This allows space for uninvited guests:-(

Googling turns up lots of foam manufacturers/suppliers but apart from
red for fire rating and black for pond/gardening nothing so far for
normal building applications. Can the pond stuff be used?

With Sun exposure and Sadolin painted boards it needs UV proofing and to
resist future re-decoration. Also high ratio of closed cells for water
proofing.

Paint it? Only needed for small patches and I'm trying to avoid major
outdoor decorating jobs this late in the season.

I see no reason pond stuff can't be used, unless you *needed* the fire
properties of the fire stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2015 12:32, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

+1.

I guess they may already have UV proofing and I would expect them to be
fine with Sadolin. If you want to post links to candidate products I'll
have a closer look.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was wondering about this as our neighbour had to stop wasps getting in
under the boards round his flat extension roof and foam was the answer, but
its bloody Orange for goodness sake, It now looks like some alien has
infected his roof and started to come out from it!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 16:13:18 UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:
... foam was the answer, but
its bloody Orange for goodness sake,

That would be alright in Larkhall.

Wickes foam is green, for those of more Catholic (capital c) taste

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2015 4:13 PM, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I was wondering about this as our neighbour had to stop wasps getting in
under the boards round his flat extension roof and foam was the answer, but
its bloody Orange for goodness sake, It now looks like some alien has
infected his roof and started to come out from it!
Brian

I read, somewhere, that wasps and bees don’t like strong-smelling herbs
like mint. And, they hate peppermint. Nice plants to have around, too.

And, while on the subject of nuisance, most blood feeding insects, and
not only Dracula, hate garlic in the blood. That includes many
destructive bacteria, too.

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RayL12" wrote in message
On 07/10/2015 4:13 PM, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I was wondering about this as our neighbour had to stop wasps getting in
under the boards round his flat extension roof and foam was the answer,
but
its bloody Orange for goodness sake, It now looks like some alien has
infected his roof and started to come out from it!
Brian

I read, somewhere, that wasps and bees don’t like strong-smelling herbs
like mint. And, they hate peppermint. Nice plants to have around, too.

And, while on the subject of nuisance, most blood feeding insects, and not
only Dracula, hate garlic in the blood.

Trouble is they have to bite you to work out that you have garlic in your
blood.

That includes many destructive bacteria, too.

But it’s a bit hard for them to decamp and move
to someone else's blood that has no garlic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RayL12 wrote:

And, while on the subject of nuisance, most blood feeding insects, and
not only Dracula, hate garlic in the blood. That includes many
destructive bacteria, too.

Do you happen to have evidence for that from any qualified practioner or
peer-reviewed research? I ask as last time I checked[1] there was no
evidence that eating garlic stopped the buggers biting - although I
admit that you only claimed they then don't enjoy their meal.

[1] eg
Maia, Marta Ferreira, and Sarah J. Moore. "Plant-based insect
repellents: a review of their efficacy, development and testing." Malar
J 10.Suppl 1 (2011): S11.

"Another common misconception is that garlic is an effective repellent.
It does have a moderate repellent effect when rubbed on the skin,
although there are far more effective repellents available that also
have a more pleasing odour. The consumption of garlic however, has not
been shown to be effective at repelling mosquitoes."

http://patient.info/health/insect-bi...stings-leaflet
"There is no evidence that eating garlic, vitamin B1 or other foods will
repel insects."

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ug, green goo eh?
I suspect he used the first stuff he got his hands on then. After all Wasps
are a bit of a pest once they get into your roof space.
Brian

Email:

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 16:13:18 UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:
... foam was the answer, but
its bloody Orange for goodness sake,

That would be alright in Larkhall.

Wickes foam is green, for those of more Catholic (capital c) taste

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2015 11:31 PM, Robin wrote:
RayL12 wrote:

[...]

I will let you and Rod determine the 'facts'. However, business being
what it is, you are hardly likely to find any studies showing a
comparatively free product getting any air-time.

Having said that, I found three site showing research done on garlic and
insect bites and guess what.....? No, I won't say, I might spoil your day.

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php
Join Now! Be a part of people power.

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I am doomed then as I have an allergy to Garlic and several other members
of the alium family.

Nope, all you have to do is kill any bloodsucker that
comes anywhere near you.

expanding foam gun tip GMM[_4_] UK diy 1 February 9th 15 10:08 PM
expanding foam HELP Peter UK diy 11 June 24th 07 08:14 PM
Expanding Foam The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 September 19th 06 12:30 AM
Expanding Foam VisionSet UK diy 3 September 6th 06 09:16 PM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM