David Hearn

Default Old Baxi WM 531 RS boiler problem

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

"David Hearn" wrote in message

"David Hearn" wrote in message

Okay - thermostat has been removed and the bulb part has been drilled

out.
I did this very carefully and everyting took me the best part of 2.5

hours.
I am SOOOOOOOOO glad I did that part myself! Okay a proper engineer

may
have done it quicker - possibly taking less care - but I'm glad I've

done
it
now.

Next problem - sourcing a new thermostat.

The thermostat has the following markings on the bottom:

RANCO
16A 250V~
10A 380V~
T107oC

I guess its a 16A thermostat which turns off at 107 degrees C.

On one side of it it's got 102027 and the other side has G1 11685 49

75
1P.

http://www.keeptheheaton.com/acatalo...ermostats.html lists:

Baxi 102027 Thermostat K36P1324
Thermostat K36P1324 .(Please note Baxi re-numbered this part several

years
ago. If the part fitted is marked K36P1324 order this part. If the

part
fitted is marked CL6PO115 use 235464)

Price: £12.20 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

So - if I need to ask around for the thermostat - do I ask for 102027

or
K36P1324?

Any other good sources of this part?

The other thing I wondered about was whether I could get the

probe/sensor
separately. Its a sealed tube and I've removed it all, and it would

be
easy
to keep the 'gubbins' and just replace the tube. The same page lists:

Baxi 230204 Thermostat Sensor
Thermostat Sensor (379-030)

Price: £9.13 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

Judging by the price difference (and the fact I've no idea if that

sensor
is
the same thing as I've no part number for that bit) - I think its

probably
best to just replace it all.

Hmm, searching around further, there seems to be a couple of thermostats
labeled 102027. For example, http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk/ lists (okay,

for
the WM 532, not the 531) two thermostats with a manufacturer code of

102027
(GC Numbers of 382-313 and 384-166).

So - does anyone know which thermostat I'll need for a Baxi WM 532 RS

CHB
boiler who's thermostat is labled 102027?

Thanks

David

You might have to resort to ringing Baxi's technical support line on
(National Rate) 08706 096096.

Thanks for that. I gave them a call and was told that as I wasn't Corgi
registered I couldn't speak to the technical support team, and after saying
what I was calling about got put through to a Spares number. They confirmed
there were two parts, and that either were suitable but suggested one.

I called KeepTheHeatOn.Com who also were very helpful and pointed me towards
the same one which Baxi Spares pointed me. They admitted they'd made a
mistake on the price on their website (it had been on offer last month and
not restored to original price and honoured the cheaper price!) and quoted
me £9.20 + VAT and £4.50 (guaranteed next day delivery) and had 23 in stock.
My local place quoted me £23 (I guess + VAT) to get it into their place
sometime tomorrow. I went with KeepTheHeatOn.Com (and gave my local place
the URL as they'd not heard of it before and said they couldn't beat that
price!).

I'm glad I sorted it now. Okay, its cost us £16, 2.5 hours of my time, and
(worst part) 48 hours without central heating. But I think its
signfificantly cheaper than the cost I'd have had to get a plumber to drill
it out and replace it (which would have needed to have been done when/if
anyone needed to open up boiler).

Thanks for all your help!