Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Large light bulb for very old street lamp

On 06/10/2015 19:30, wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 19:09:09 UTC+1, wrote:
nt:
On Monday, 5 October 2015 09:51:28 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
nt:
On Saturday, 3 October 2015 11:24:59 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
nt:
On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:36:58 UTC+1, wrote:

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete,

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying one.

Name any application in which they have an advantage over HID or sodium. There are none.

Any application which currently uses them, and you need to replace the lamp!

I have plenty of things at home with obsolete technology in.

Don't you mean obsolescent? ;-)

Quote:
Things that are obsolete are out of date or no longer in general use. Things that are obsolescent are fading from general use and soon to become obsolete. For example, the Windows XP operating system (released in 2001) is not obsolete because some people still use it, but it is obsolescent because it will presumably be falling out of use in the coming years.

I have recently seen several instances of mercury vapour lamps still in
current use, generally as hi-bay lights in industrial units.

Things that are obsolete are usually not so out of date that they've been forgotten, however. When obsolete things are forgotten, they become archaic.

So no, I mean obsolete and in some cases not far from archaic.

You may mean obsolete, but obsolescent is correct.

I was discussing my own household things, not mercury discharges

Even so, if you are still using them, unless you have an unusual
collection of museum pieces, by your definition, that makes them
obsolescent, rather than obsolete.

--
Colin Bignell