Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Large light bulb for very old street lamp

Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Stick with gas. A far nicer quality of light. ;-)

Tim

If you look carefully in this screen shot you can see a gaslight they
still have them here in Cambridge. Its down Barrow road which is a
private road hence Google didn't go there. They are very dim at night
but since the council upgraded our lights there're bloody useless too;!.

https://goo.gl/maps/uzfcuP5RRjM2
--
Tony Sayer

Gas is still in use in parts of London

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ckens-day.html

LED filament lamp for looks and pile of LEDs in a louvred compartment in the
roof of the lantern for actual light.

Thanks peeps for all the replies.

I like the look of those gas mantles, maybe, rather than going for a large
globe in there, i should aim to emulate the three gas mantles?

So, now looking for three small but very bright bulbs that give out the same
type of light as gas does... then i can group them together like in those
lamps in that article.

Cheers peeps,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 October 2015 09:51:28 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
nt:
On Saturday, 3 October 2015 11:24:59 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
nt:
On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:36:58 UTC+1, wrote:

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete,

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying one.

Name any application in which they have an advantage over HID or sodium.. There are none.

Any application which currently uses them, and you need to replace the lamp!

I have plenty of things at home with obsolete technology in.

Don't you mean obsolescent? ;-)

Quote:
Things that are obsolete are out of date or no longer in general use. Things that are obsolescent are fading from general use and soon to become obsolete. For example, the Windows XP operating system (released in 2001) is not obsolete because some people still use it, but it is obsolescent because it will presumably be falling out of use in the coming years.

Things that are obsolete are usually not so out of date that they've been forgotten, however. When obsolete things are forgotten, they become archaic.

So no, I mean obsolete and in some cases not far from archaic.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 October 2015 09:55:20 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

If you wander round when is now known as the "adventure island" theme
park in Southend at night, its got loads of discharge lighting - in any
run of lamps they quite often alternate high pressure sodium with
mercury... So you get the yellow / pinky cast from the sodium, and a
slight blue / purple tinge from the mercury. The effect is actually
quite pleasing (far more so than either technology on its own would be).

When mercuries were more popular, so many places had either mercury or sodium, and I always wondered why someone didn't choose to install a mix.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2015 17:12, wrote:
[...]

I have recently seen several instances of mercury vapour lamps still in
current use, generally as hi-bay lights in industrial units.

Things that are obsolete are usually not so out of date that they've been forgotten, however. When obsolete things are forgotten, they become archaic.

So no, I mean obsolete and in some cases not far from archaic.

You may mean obsolete, but obsolescent is correct.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 19:09:09 UTC+1, wrote:
nt:
[...]

I was discussing my own household things, not mercury discharges

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2015 19:30, wrote:
[...]

Even so, if you are still using them, unless you have an unusual
collection of museum pieces, by your definition, that makes them
obsolescent, rather than obsolete.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 19:54:06 UTC+1, wrote:
On 06/10/2015 19:30, nt:
[...]

First it's not my definition. Second they're plainly obsolete by that defintion, not obsolescent. Obviously they are unusual and museum pieces.

So many times I've been told 'the facts' by people who clearly haven't made any proper effort to find the facts out and don't have any clue what they are.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2015 09:51, wrote:
[...]

First it's not my definition.

You chose to quote it, which makes it yours within this thread.

Second they're plainly obsolete by that defintion, not obsolescent. Obviously they are unusual and museum pieces.

In which case, your statement was either intentionally misleading or
totally irrelevant to the matter under discussion.

So many times I've been told 'the facts' by people who clearly haven't made any proper effort to find the facts out and don't have any clue what they are.

Perhaps you are in the habit of providing them with misleading statements.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

In case you had forgotten I was ribbing your choice of word based on the
previous discussion, where you complained because I referred to a
VO-ELCB as obsolete. It seems you now agree with my original use.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

street lamp ballast Fred UK diy 17 October 19th 12 01:38 AM
Product Review 108 LED 7W Bulb E27 Corn Lamp 110V/220V CoolWhite Lighting Light Energy Saving... Bob_Villa Home Repair 1 March 23rd 12 02:24 AM
Product Review 108 LED 7W Bulb E27 Corn Lamp 110V/220V Cool WhiteLighting Light Energy Saving... N8N Home Repair 2 March 23rd 12 01:17 AM
replacing lamp socket (that light bulb screws into): brass or silver goes to wide-blade? David Combs Home Repair 3 August 1st 10 03:06 PM
Pool light bulb any different than regular light bulb? Pond Scum Home Repair 2 September 3rd 07 04:33 AM