Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot tub electrical question

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 06:59:37 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/6/2015 5:55 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 23:09:43 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/5/2015 10:47 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 22:02:24 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

That depends on where you live! : Here, it's rarely cool enough
to NOT have (or want) the ACbrrr to be on!

Sounds like Arizona. ;-)

Here in Florida we relish the days when you can open the windows
(Nov-Mar) and the hot tub feels good about the same time. In the
summer it is just swapping water with the pool and not really used at
all.

I don't think I know anyone with the "combination" hot-tub/pool
configuration. People tend to either have pools or hot tubs but
not usually both.

There is also a downside of using them in the hottest portions of
the year because those also tend to be the driest. It is not
uncommon to get out of a pool and find yourself enveloped in a
cloud of "steam" -- as all of the water on your body evaporates
quickly (which usually leaves you *freezing* cold -- even in 110F
temperatures stepping out of 105F water!). So, the humid parts
of summer (i.e., Monsoon) tend to be more comfortable *in* the
water.

We've considered purchasing an "infinite pool" to get the advantages
of a pool (exercise) and hot tub (soaks) -- without losing all
that land (and water!) to the alternative.

Different strokes I guess.

When the humidity is in the 80s, evaporation is not an issue but I
have been out there and I know what you are talking about.

Moving here was the first time I ever encountered that sort of
evaporative cooling! Getting out of a pool typically just left
you *wet*. No big deal to get out and walk around to some
other point and reenter. Or, sip a beverage, etc.

Here, getting out was like stepping directly into a FREEZER!
A completely unexpected experience. Drove home the principle
of evaporative cooling (perspiration, etc.) in a way that a text book
could NEVER explain!

I always thought it was ironic that they call those evaporative
cooling units "swamp coolers" and they don't work at all here in the
swamp
They should be called desert coolers.

My pool and spa are not a combo unit, they are about 50 feet apart.
There is just a common pipe that connects the spa overflow to the pool
suction via the vent and another valve that bleeds off a little pool
return water into the spa.

Ah! I've only ever seen the spa as a sort of "wading pool" attached
to the "real pool" (different pump/filtration/heater). So, you "soak"
(heat soak) in the spa, then slide over a little dividing wall into
the pool (which is typically much cooler)

That is the normal design (called a spill over spa).
My spa was already built, up next to the bedroom when we built the
pool out in the yard. The code required a "vent" to prevent entrapment
(basically a pipe from the main drain to the atmosphere)
I "teed" off of that, ran a pipe to the overflow pipe from the spa and
had a way of swapping water.
It did involve a 25 foot directional bore under the garage but that
worked out OK using the garden hose method