Posted to alt.home.repair
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default The USA finally takes to roundabouts.

In message , Frank "frank
writes

Visitor from UK was ****ed that we did not have them. He missed a turn
and there was no round-about to help him out.

I'm not surprised. In rural Pennsylvania, at an otherwise deserted
crossroads, I was obliged to sit waiting for ages until the apparently
un-triggered traffic lights decided to get around to changing to green.

In the UK, it's not unusual to find roundabouts even on small roads.
What was originally a T-junction or a crossroads is often converted
simply by having a (say) 3' diameter white 'blob' (sometimes very
slightly domed) painted in the centre. The approach roads each have the
mini-roundabout sign, and all drivers know that, if necessary, they have
to give way to a vehicle approaching (or cutting across them) from their
right. There's never any "I got here first" debacle, and rarely any need
to install traffic lights.
--
Ian