Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT carrier bag charge

On 06/10/15 08:51, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/10/2015 19:50, sm_jamieson wrote:
OK, where can I buy carrier bags for less than 5 pence ? Our free
supply of kitchen bin bags has ended !
Simon.

Makro is where I get ours on a very large roll.
I expect Poundshop and the like will be stocking them soon!

Since almost every local authority insists that you cannot put dust in a
dustbin without putting it in a tied plastic bag the whole concept of
the supermarket bag charging scheme is deeply flawed. It won't make a
jot of difference to the number of plastic bags going to landfill.

Sir Humphrey must have been proud to have made the free bagging rules so
complex and tangled that a whole new tier of bag inspectors will be
required to police the new rules. Unskilled job creation at its best!

It might prevent road warriors tossing plastic bags out of their cars
with them in tatters on trees in the countryside but I have my doubts

I'll just carry on buying them - I use every one as a bin liner and I'm
not going to fuss over 2p (el cheapo bin liner on a roll) vs 5p (carrier
bag) when I use 1-2 liners a day! Oh my what will I do with the 30-odd
pence saved per week...

Don't get a lot of choice with supermarket online delivery anyway - they
bag the stuff regardless.

If I go shopping by hand, I might take a multi use bag with me - but
nearly all of the time I find myself in a supermarket without warning
(text: Can you get XXX on the way home...).