Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why won't ship screwdrivers to a home,

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 9:21:58 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 10/5/2015 6:28 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/05/2015 03:45 PM, micky wrote:
I knew that. That's why now everyone has to pay sales tax at the time
of purchase on Amazon.

Sales tax? Unless they're hiding it I'm not paying it. If you want to commit
political suicide in this state just whisper 'sales tax'.

I think the law only requires businesses "having a presence" in a state
to collect sales taxes from sales *in* that state. Some firms may *opt*
to collect the appropriate sales tax -- and remit it to the corresponding
state(s) -- but, AFAICT, they are not *required* to do so. ISTM that
MS collected sales taxes for all purchases even though they may not
have had a "presence" in the state.

Also, these are typically only *state* sales taxes. Here, for example,
we have county and city sales taxes. AFAICT, there are no requirements
that these be collected by these firms.

So, an online purchase can still be a net tax savings even if state
taxes are tacked onto your order.

Of course, IANAL (thank god!) so YMMV

If I had an online business, I would protest any tax levied on my products by a state in which me or my business wasn't located. The reason being that the state isn't providing any services to me and my business. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Tax Monster