Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot tub electrical question

On Mon, 05 Oct 2015 14:41:25 -0500, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/5/2015 9:29 AM, J wrote:
First off, don't worry, I plan to hire an electrician since I'm not
comfortable messing with the main breaker box. I just want to know about
feasibility and difficulty (or ease) of this proposition before making a
choice on a new hot tub.

We recently removed our old dead hot tub from our deck. When we got
it, we
had an electrician install a dedicated 220V, 50 amp circuit. It has a
breaker in the breaker box, and another breaker and cut-off switch
outside
on the side of the house in a separate box - about 10' from the tub.
This
was done about 5 years ago, so the wiring is pretty new. The tub
itself was
older and used when we got it, but the price was right (free - plus the
cost
for moving and wiring). It served us well, but gave up the ghost last
year.
Now we're looking for a replacement and have been looking at smaller hot
tubs. Most of them seem to be of the 110V "Plug-n-play" variety, though
they say they do require a 15amp dedicated circuit.

It would have to be a pretty small "load" to get by with just ~1800W
(for pump, blower and heater).

To add to Don's point, my drip coffee maker needs 900 watts or
7.5 amps.
I don't know what a water bed would need for power. That would
probably be a better comparison. The hitch in that comparison
would be an enclosed, blanket insulated bag of water vs. and open tank.