Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Why won't ship screwdrivers to a home,

On 10/05/2015 03:55 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Why do you suppose Ace won't ship these screwdrivers to a home, like
they do with lots of other stuff,

See the text under Free Pickup at your local Ace Check Availability

Also the Shipping tab a little below that.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=53090136

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1286543

WTF?
Does Ace need to do a background check before they sell those?
Does a tradesman need a carry permit?

It looks like other screwdrives that Ace sells are available for ship
to home.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=19153956
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1294494

My guess is that most products sold by Ace, are actually shipped by
the manufacturer. Some manufacturers may not ship to home. In that
case, buy someplace else.

+1

AFAICT, Ace doesn't *make* anything -- even the "Ace-branded" items
that they sell. So, most probably arrange for the firm that *does*
manufacture the items to do the drop shipments... either to their
*stores* or end users. This one probably doesn't want to deal
with onesie-twosie shipments (to homes), just bulk shipments (to
stores).

Yes, I think you guys explained it.

Last week I bought an outlet strip, with 11 receptacles including room
for wall-warts. And the one I wanted was on the Home Depot site, and
it had Ship-to-Store, for free. So I did. I thought it would come from
an HD warehous, or from some other warehouse with a bulk shipment to an
HD shipping location. But instead it came from some warehouse direct
to my local HD via UPS. Individually wrapped.

Apparently this is not true about Amazon, but wrt HD, Walmart, etc, now
that everybody sells everything, I have a feeling they all share one big
warehouse and use the computer to keep track of who sold what. I don't
know how that would work with shoplifting in the warehouse, however.
Who would take the loss for that?

Surprise! Amazon has a number of warehouses "fulfillment centers" across the country. ^_^

http://www.amazonfulfillmentcareers....ent/locations/

Here's one of many YouTube videos showing how the system works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quWFjS3Ci7A

Perce