Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Sandman[_5_] Mr Sandman[_5_] is offline

Default Large light bulb for very old street lamp

Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Stick with gas. A far nicer quality of light. ;-)

Tim

If you look carefully in this screen shot you can see a gaslight they
still have them here in Cambridge. Its down Barrow road which is a
private road hence Google didn't go there. They are very dim at night
but since the council upgraded our lights there're bloody useless too;!.

https://goo.gl/maps/uzfcuP5RRjM2
--
Tony Sayer

Gas is still in use in parts of London

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ckens-day.html

LED filament lamp for looks and pile of LEDs in a louvred compartment in the
roof of the lantern for actual light.

Thanks peeps for all the replies.

I like the look of those gas mantles, maybe, rather than going for a large
globe in there, i should aim to emulate the three gas mantles?

So, now looking for three small but very bright bulbs that give out the same
type of light as gas does... then i can group them together like in those
lamps in that article.

Cheers peeps,

Steve