Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Some people.

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 15:01:41 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Had a Sagem DLP rear projection TV lying around which I wanted shot of.
Thought I'd try it on Ebay - collection only.

But what did rather surprise me was someone thinking they could buy a
working 45" widescreen TV for 50 quid?

Why not? Brand new, Full HD, 40" LCD sets can be had for around £250.

Yes they can. But that's not under 50 quid. If it had been faulty, perhaps
50 quid would have been OK. Would you expect to pick up a working 45" LCD
for 50 quid?

The average "person on the street" won't have a clue what rear
projection or DLP means.

Most on Freecycle seem to know the difference between a CRT set and LCD -
so I'd assumed those paying real money for something would know what
they're bidding on? And large screen rear projection sets were common
enough at one time.

OK prices rise quite a bit by the 45" end of
the scale but it's the psychological £4.99 or £5.00 thing working on
40 and 45, bring in a bit of greed and all they see for new prices is
45" and £250.

I sold a camera via eBay, a Canon Ixus, buyer was rather miffed when
they got it to discover that it was not digital but APS. Despite the
actual word "film" being used five times in the description, along
with the phrase "APS system".

Right. But I'd guess that would come under a collector's item - so I'd
expect even more the buyer to know the spec.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.