Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Gunk From Bearings: What To Use ?

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Trying to get the gunk and dried up grease out of motor bearings.
Unit is eons old, and armature won't turn easily anymore.

Tried Liquid Wrench, and also soaking in gasoline.

Neither seems to dissolve the stuff.

Anything better ?

Thanks,
Bob

Try using a detergent solution soak . Grease is oil and soap , if all the
oil is gone you're left with the hard chunks of soap that it was emulsified
with . You might try using an ultrasonic cleaner , but on low power . Some
believe the ultrasonic waves cause damage to the bearing elements and races
.. I don't know , I have no experience with ultrasonic units .

--
Snag