Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hyd. pump replacement advice please

On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 21:26:42 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 17:49:58 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 14:10:48 -0700,
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 23:37:14 -0400,
wrote:
You can be pretty sure the tanks would NOT survive anything close to
a 28 inch vacuum.without deforming. On a 8 cu ft square tank you have
3456 square inches of surface area, all being acted on by 13 lb per
square inch - a total of 8640 lbs acting on each 2 ft square side.

Since I don't have a vacuum pump, which I said in my last post, I
won't be pulling a vacuum on the oil tanks. But if I did I wouldn't be
too worried as the wall thickness of the tanks is 3/8". As I mentioned
previously the tanks on my backhoe do double duty as frame members.
They form part of the frame that supports the front bucket, their main
purpose in fact. Being of hollow construction Case decided to save
space and money and use them as reservoirs too.

Yes, that was a good idea. Other vehicles have hydraulic oil and
compressed air stored in their tubular structures, too.

But if you did suck 'er down, even that thick tank would likely
permanently pucker pretty proudly. (distinctly didn't rhyme)

Did you ever see a rail tank car that was steam cleaned and some
idiot closed the hatch and shoved it out into the shade on a 50 degree
F day? Looked like someone squeezed a pop can.

Rail cars have HUGE surface areas and arent particularly thick metal