Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to inspect disposable batteries

On 10/3/2015 1:50 PM, Don Y wrote:

The biggest problem with staying stocked up on batteries is
that it is getting harder and harder to find a pack of
batteries that qualifies, at least to me, as 'that will
be enough to keep me going for a little while'. The packs
are getting bigger and bigger.

CY: Dollar tree has four packs of AA or AAA alkalines.
Three packs of C or D carbon zinc cells.

But, to peer behind a computer (located UNDER my workbenches)
or under a bed, etc., a little 2 AA cell maglite works just fine.
Or, the three cell HD give(throw)aways.

CY: Those free HD short black lights are amazing.

Someone once claimed that AA and D cells were essentially the same
"internals", just different shells. I'd find that hard to believe
(unless it's akin to the "11 oz Coors" scam). One *hopes* the
big, heavy, bulky D cells are actually *giving* you something
for the extra size/weight!

CY: That used to be the case for some rechargble
cells. Some C and D were 2500 mA hour, and were
probably upsized AA. Alkalines and carbon zincs
are ok with the bigger sizes.

Still have to pick up some buttons and 9v occasionally.
But I resist buying anything using other than AA or AAA.

CY: That's wisdom.

Exactly. I can buy 2032's in quantity as there are so many
things that now use them; just keep them handy and "next time"
I'm inside a computer, pull the old battery and replace it.

It's amusing how 9v "transistor" batteries have fallen from
favor since the days of youth (in "transistor" radios). Aside
from the smoke/CO detectors, I can't think of anything that
uses them (so, why keep them on hand IN ANTICIPATION of a
failure?)

CY: 9V transistor cells are used in some emergency
exit devices in stores. Also in the Comtek hearing
amplifier box I use at church. Also my UEI non contact
infrared thermometer. Also in Harbor Freight cheap
VOM. Other than that, nothing (smile).

-
..
Christopher A. Young