Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default How to inspect furnace filters?

wrote in message
If you want to play with toys, not guess, and always know when the
filter needs changing put a filter-check device on your furnace (like
is used on large engine air-filtes). It is just a differential
pressure guage - can be as simple as a manometer tube connected across
the filter - from the air return duct to the return plenum of the
furnace. A plugged filter will have a higher differential pressure
than a clean one.

That is what we used at work on the large building air filters. They had a
motor on them so we could roll them up some when the pressure differential
reached a certain level. They were on a large roll at the bottom and the
takeup roll at the top.

There was a pickup tube on each side of the filter.
Some were gauges with alarm switches,and some were simple fluid indicators.